Feb 12, 2009

Pilgrimage postponed

Yesterday I got a phone call from Ian. The dean of his department is requiring that he attend a meeting scheduled for Feb 25 and he was not sure about March meetings. This means that we can not leave until Feb 26 at the earliest. I have canceled our reservations for accommodations and the bus, and later today my wife and I are planning to go to the station and cancel our train tickets.

Ian is supposed to be having a meeting with the dean sometime today. At that time, he plans to get written permission for the trip to prevent any further problems. Once he has that permission, he and I will reschedule things. In any case I am going even if I have to go alone.

My schedule is flexible because I am only employed part time and am no longer required to attend meetings. As long as I am back in Sendai around the first of April, I will have no problems. In any case I still plan to complete half, or close to half, of the pilgrimage before starting this year's classes. Ian's problem is that part of the contractual agreement for the position of professor is that the teacher attend school-wide and departmental meetings. Any absences have to be worked out with the administration and that is where his current problem lies.

Tomorrow I should be able to post a revised schedule - leaving in late February and returning by the end of March.

Every negative has its good sides and there is one definite advantage to a later start - the weather will be getting warmer and there will be some flowers.

No comments: