Feb 27, 2009

Tomone is really Japanese

As you can see from the way that Tomone is sitting seiza, the formal Japanese sitting posture, she is truly Japanese. Most Japanese babies have to learn to sit this way as they get older, but Tomone does it naturally, making her Japanese, rather than American, citizenship seem appropriate.

I have had to sit seiza a few times and found the pain to be excruciating when it lasted more than just a few minutes. The worst time was at my wife's brother's wedding. He had an extremely traditional Shinto ceremony that involved an intricate dance-like process in which my daughters brought a number of cups of Japanese sake, Nihonshu, to the bride and groom and to the witnesses. The process took more than 30 minutes and my brother-in-law and I on the left side and my wife and sister-in-law on the right side had to sit seiza the whole time, without any movement at all. When the ceremony was over, I could not move my legs, in fact I could not even fell them. I was very happy, however, when I looked at my Japanese brother-in-law and realized that he could not stand up either.

No comments: