Jun 26, 2011

Still more around the neighborhood

 One of the flights of stairs leading from the riverside to the top of the levee comes up in front of our local shrine, giving this view.
 Following the top of the levee to the bridge and turning north, you find a row of bars. I have never been in them but sometimes at night when I go by the doors are open so I can see inside. They appear to have a fairly good regular clientele. Japanese office workers tend to stop for drinks and food with their coworkers on their way home. They usually have a number of bars that they stop at fairly regularly.

This is the view from straight on. I have been thinking of drawing a picture of these bars, but it will have to wait until my overly busy school year is over.
 I took a back road to the north, one that I seldom go on, and found this typical little garden beside one of the houses. A lot of Japanese use growing some of their own food as a hobby. Actually it ends up being more expensive than getting the same stuff at the store, but they have fun. We frequently get vegetables from one of our friends who rents a number of small plots scattered around the area. Usually the owner of the land is a farmer and will give advice and even help out sometimes.
 At the end of the back road, there is a work shed full of various kinds of stuff used on farms. The owner must be one of the farmers whose fields are in a large flat area to the east of us.
 Back on the main east-to-west road, I passed our local Macdonalds hamburger shop without going in. I probably stop here once or twice a year and that is usually in the morning with my wife - for pancakes.

No comments: