Jun 5, 2011

Around the bus stop on my way to Tohoku Gakuin U.

 The next building passed the police area is a new grade school. On this day I was on my way to teach at Tohoku Gakuin University and I notice a group of kids and some teachers out in the athletic field. Later I found out that it was Sports Day at the school and they were participating in some sort of games.
 I went out to the bus stop and noticed that the Seiyu supermarket/department store has build a huge scaffolding over the tower that used to have their name on it. We are getting rumors that they plan to reopen in early July, using only the first floor of the building. At the time of the earthquake, much of the building was empty because many of the small independent stores had closed.
 Right across the street was a large pile of the parts for the scaffolding that they had already taken down on one building and were in the process of dismantling on the next building. Also the flowers along the road were in full bloom.
 While waiting for the bus, I walked a little further down the road and saw that the work crew that I showed before had finished. They had actually boarded up the restaurant on the second floor. It looks like it will probably not reopen. I do not see how they could have done a good business there, anyway. It is not in an area where many people would be after work at night.
 In front of the boarded up restaurant, there is a parking lot that is apparently being used by customers at the computer store on the first floor. There is a large unpaved area but for the life of me I can not remember what used to be there. Since I arrived in Sendai, it has changed rapidly and I find that once a building has been demolished, I can not remember what had been there. Other people tell me that they experience the same thing, so it does not seem to be a problem with aging.
I showed this view before but at the time the trees were bare, not a single leaf. Now the leaves are coming out but the trees still look a bit weird - the branches are so short in comparison to the height. Oh, well, the twice a year trim keeps the professional gardeners employed.

I think I said that I had to get a new computer. The second large earthquake killed the disk drive on my old one. The new one runs on Windows 7 and it is amazing. I do not know what program is doing it but, now when I upload a picture like the last one, something analyzes the picture and rotates it so that it has the correct orientation. I used to have to do it by hand. I wonder what sort of algorithm is used to do thing - it must analyze the cont
ent so it has to be very smart.

No comments: