Jun 3, 2011

Around Sendai


 This is still at Tohoku Gakuin U. This is the way I usually get to my classroom, but it was blocked off by temporary fences. Apparently chunks of stuff were still falling off the walls of the building. I had to go around but it was not too much out of the way and I still arrived in time.
This is an newspaper article about the farmer that my wife met. If you look at the maps, you can see the extent of the restructuring of the land. The lefthand map is before the quakes and the dark blue areas are below sea level. The map on the left is the way it is now. The dark blue still represents land below sea level but you can see how much more there is. The coast line sunk about 70 centimeters in this area.
 The next day I came out of my building and found a work truck in the open area between the buildings.
 I went over to investigate and found that they had dug up the badly damaged pipes and had replaced them, meaning that the admin building would have running water and sewerage again.
 These trucks seemed to be shifting emergency supplies from one location to another. Much of the supplies were stored on university campus or in public buildings. Now that they are not needed in Sendai itself, they are rapidly being shifted to locations nearer where the evacuees are living, mostly in the small towns to the north and south of the city.
This pedestrian bridge was damaged and is now under repair.

No comments: