Jun 9, 2011

Art class and returning home

 The reason I went to Izumi Chuo was to meet one of my fellow students who gave me a ride to my art teachers home where we now have classes, at least until the NHK Bunka Center reopens his classes at the Center in downtown Sendai in July. This is the inside of the studio. It occupies a whole house. There is a large room on the second floor that only contains the teacher's easel. The first floor has this room, which was designed to be the living room, a small dining room where I draw at a long table, and a kitchen.
 Near the end of class, the teacher's granddaughter brought the family dogs from the house next door, where the family lives. The pair were half siblings that had been born to the same mother a year apart. They were extremely friendly and seem to enjoy the attention they got.

After class I was given a ride back to Izumi Chuo, and after a little shopping, I walked home.
 This is one of the cracks in the earth that occurred during the first quake and got larger during the second. It is now almost three months after the first quake but the crack has not begun to fill in. I do not know how deep it is because I could not see the bottom.
 This is the current state of the new wall that is being built to replace the one that collapsed during the tremors.
 This is the exit from our entrance way The door can only be opened from the inside. The entrance is on the right. The reason I took this picture s that you can see the puddle and from it and understand how much this section tilted during the quakes. Puddles like this are now a constant problem on rainy days, or I should say nights when you can not see them. The water is about a centimeter or more deep at the edge of the building.
 The motorcycle cops were out practicing. They come here and practice going slow, taking a series of sharp curves, and other maneuvers. Watching them brings back memories of my old motorcycle, an Italian Moto Guzzi that I had for a few years when I was around 20.

No comments: