Jun 20, 2012

Going across the street to Jiganji

I had seen everything interesting in Kamo Jinji, so I walked out of the grounds. My goal was Jiganji, a small Buddhist temple that, according to my map, was just behind some trees on the other side of the street.

 Nearing the street, I noticed these chunks of tree trunk that had rotted out from the middle. Cleaned up a bit, they would make good bodies from Japanese style drums, but I expect that they will just remain here until they completely fall apart.
 I walked up a driveway and found the temple building. There was only one. The first thing that I noticed was that the windows were a very unusual shape, like a temple bell.
 Turning around and looking into the graveyard, I discovered this frog watching me.
 I walked around the temple building and found that be back side contained what looked like living quarters but as far as I could tell there was no one home. There was no way to get into the building or to see the altar except through the sliding doors into the living area so I gave up and went into the graveyard.
I began to wonder if there was a priest in residence. The graveyard looked like it had not been mowed in years. Rather than a graveyard with a temple, it reminded me of the little family graveyards hidden up in t he hills behind farming villages in the mountains.

No comments: