Nov 5, 2012

Back to Sendai and a BBQ

 This is the bridge to Yaotome. They have finally started to repair the earthquake damage. The bridge is only a couple of years old so there was no serious damage, but there was enough that it needs fixing.
 I found this beside the road. Looking at it closely made me think that it was some sort of radiation counter, but it could also be measuring the moisture in the soil. The scale had numbers but no indication of what it was measuring.
 Returning from my Friday class, I stopped at Izumi Chuo for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and as I sat outside, I watched some booths that were set up under tents. This man was selling crushed ice with syrup in a paper cup.
 For the last few years, my friends Marc and John have been putting on an end of summer BBQ. Officially it is a chance for the publishers to come and display their new books and for Marc and John to talk about their best selling EFL text. However, after only an hour or so it turns into a huge affair for anyone who wants to come. Almost all of the people connected with language teaching in Sendai come and it lasts late into the evening. It is becoming THE affair of the year. I should probably point out that it is very international and people from many different countries attend. This is one of the grills that was in use.
 Here Cory (left) and Marc (right) plus a young Japanese man and women are spreading sauce on ribs.
Marc checking on some thing in the grill area.

No comments: