Nov 3, 2012

Yamadera

 We went back to the station and looked back at Yamadera on the mountain across the valley. I know that at first I called it a hill, but after climbing it, I think it deserves the grander title of mountain.
 We found that we had about 50 minutes until the next train, so we decided to visit the Basho museum. It was, naturally, up a hill. As we approached the top, this building came into view.
 Once we reached the top of the hill, we could see the grounds of the museum. I was surprised at the number of separate buildings.
 The roadway was lined with stelae that contained haiku. I had no idea who the authors were, but it appeared that they were not famous.
 We saw one building that looked old, or at least, constructed in the old traditional style.
Inside there was a gift shop and a meeting room for haiku sessions, among other things.

No comments: