Dec 6, 2012

On the way to the dentist's

 To get to my dentist's office, I take a bus from Izumi Chuo and then walk home afterwards. On this morning I got to Izumi Chuo and found the Vegalta mascot and the office personnel out picking up the trash from the sidewalks. This is something that is usually done by the neighborhood associations. At my apartment complex, the admin people do this for us. Of course, in the case we have to pay a monthly fee for all of the admin services. In regular neighborhoods all the family come out once a month, usually on a Sunday morning and the public areas.
 Near my dentist's there is a small pond and on this day there was a large family of ducks swimming around.
 One of the strange features of the roads in Sendai. This is a T-intersection and there is only one zebra crossing. If you arrive at the far corner on the left, legally you can not cross the road. I have asked a number of people about this and have been told that it is for safety reason. However, they could not explain how it made things safer.
 I stopped at the bread store for a pastry and some free coffee. I think I also bought bread to take home. While I was sitting outdoors enjoying my coffee break, this little sparrow came begging. It hopped around going "peep, peep, peep" until someone gave it some crumbs. I was very surprised at how tame it was.
 Leaving the bread store, I took some back roads home, passing some rice paddies along the way. At this time of year, all that is left in the paddies are some of the stalks. In the spring they will plow these under before flooding the area and planting the new crop.
Next to the paddies was a shed that was being used to store equipment from the farm. I do not know why it is still standing.

No comments: