Dec 10, 2012

Views on the way to Asahigaoka


 I decided to walk to Asahigaoka, about a 10 kilometer round trip.
 As I passed the rich guy's house, I found that most of the siding on the second floor had been removed.
 
 At the Shinto shrine nearest our apartment, a maple was in full color. This tree has been trimmed so that it looks the same as a pine tree from a typical Japanese garden.
 I reached the bridge and stopped to look at the work on the coffer dam. They fill large woven plastic bags with dirt to make the main structure and then pile dirt against the bags.
 About half way to Asahigaoka, there is a pedestrian overpass. It was beginning to get very rusty and I think it would have soon become unusable, but they have started repairs on it. The entire bridge has been covered with cloth to protect the cars and pedestrians.
 A little further on, a large building is coming down. It will be interesting to see what replaces it.
 On the opposite side of the road, just a little ways up the road, the remains of a large Seiyu supermarket and game center was coming down fast. Walking around Sendai gives me the feeling that I am wandering through a battlefield after the fighting is over.
 This store sells ski equipment in the winter and surfing and scuba equipment in the summer. The interesting thing here, and one of the things that I love about Japan, is the boxes of skis that were left outside because the delivery truck came before the store opened. The nice thing is that you can expect them to remain there until the clerk from the store gets around to opening up and taking them inside.
Walking through Shinrin Park, I saw some very pretty red flowers.

No comments: