Feb 20, 2013

A trip to Book-Off

 A snowy morning along the river
 I applied for a short term temporary job and they asked for a picture, so I though I would post it here, too. The picture on the main page of the blog is a couple of years old.
 My wife and I walked over to a place called Book Off, actually a used book store. The word "Off" is Japanese English for low priced. The building in this picture is a pachinko parlor. The five long red stripes are all on the first floor and make the three story building look much taller.
 This is a food market that sells 'wholesale'. Actually it is not wholesale but it is cheaper than supermarkets. They specialize in larger packages for restaurants and hotels but sell to the public, too.
 This, as you can see is Book-Off. The large white kanji on the red background means 'book'.
 It is a little hard to see but the brown stripe on the left, just beyond the cars, is actually a large group of rice paddies.
This is one of the aisles inside the store. The paperback books are mostly 105 yen. I bought the original Japanese version of "Woman in the Dunes" by Kobo Abe. The Sendai book club is reading the English translation this month and I wanted to see what the original text was for some specific spots in the book.

No comments: