Sep 20, 2010

Sendai Book Club Night 05


Reaching the street after exiting the subway stations, I turned right and took this picture. The street terminates in a t-intersection at the top of the little hill. Ian and I walk to the intersection and turn right. The park we walk in is a couple of kilometers away. Next I turned to the left and started walking. Kita Sendai train station is on the left just in front of the tall apartment building in the center. The sign on the telephone pole, by the way, is an ad for a dentist named Kondo. The au signs on the left are in front of a store that sells cell phones by the same name. This is the brand that my family uses. I am still using the same phone that I took when I walked on the Henro Pilgrimage.
Just before the station is this yard full of bicycles. You must pay to leave you bike here but it is very convenient. The buildings on the left are part of the train station. The tracks are on top of the little rise that is covered with green vegetation.
This is the front of the station itself. It was recently rebuilt and is now much nicer than it was before. However, I did not appreciate that fact that they removed two old wooden benches from under the roof in front. Also notice the ramp. Sendai is making a great effort to make everything accessible to people in wheelchairs or those with leg problems. As you probably have heard, the Japanese population is now the oldest in the world with something like 30% of the people over the age of 60. This effort makes Japan a very good place to grow old.

No comments: