Sep 15, 2010

Sendai Book Club Night


Once a month, on a Monday night, I meet with about 15 other people to discuss a book that we have all read that month. This month we discussed The Togakushi Legend Murders by Yasuo Uchida. It was a typical multiple murder mystery with a Columbo-like detective. It was quite good but the translation was not the best. One of the problems was that the translator had the Japanese characters using American slang. The effect was not at all convincing.

Anyway, I usual walk to the site, the Asahigaoku Shonen Bunka Center (the Asohigaoka [a place name] young people's culture center). It takes about 35 minutes. I took my camera with me. The meetings start at 7 p.m., lasting until nine, so it had begun to get dark when I left home at about 6 p.m. Remember there is no daylight savings time here.

The first picture is at the subway / bus depot nearest our condo - Yaotome Station. To repeat what I have said in the past, the name Yaotome means eight virgins, but I will refrain from making any snide comments. The picture shows people who had arrived from Sendai on the subway and were now waiting for a bus.
At the far end of the station, there is a taxi stand and then this commercial building. It contains bars, restaurants, and a travel agency.
Walking past that building, you leave the station grounds and cross a bridge over a narrow stream, on the other side of which there is an extensive housing area. I am going to walk up a hill and pass in front of the large building on the right.
This is the narrow stream, although during the rainy season or a typhoon, it fills up. It was a little foggy and threatening to rain. I was carrying an umbrella but in the end did not have to use it.

No comments: