Sep 8, 2010

Sendai Station and then walking home 10


The two story brownish building in the left center and the red roof below it are the Shinto shrine for the people who were executed and tortured when this area held the official punishment facility. I have posted pictures of this a number of times. Behind it, the white building, is a relatively new Chinese and Oriental ethnic restaurant. It seems to very popular with the younger dating crowd. I have never stopped there so I have no idea whether or not the food is good.The next picture shows the view up one of the typical side roads, and I say 'up' because the road is quite steep. The main road follows a pass up and over a line of hills that separates downtown Sendai from the area to the north. Both sides of the road are lined with steep sided hills. Most of the crests run parallel to the main road. When I was getting ready for the Henro pilgrimage, I used to walk on the main road but turn off and go up a side road and then back down the next one.

This picture should give you some idea of how steep the hills are. They are not very tall but they are severe.
Many of the newer buildings have interesting colors or shapes. This blue and yellow building always grabs my eye as I walk by. It is interesting but I hardly ever notice it when I am riding in a car.

No comments: