Sep 23, 2010

Wednesday Morning walk 02


The flat path along the valley floor is paved, in contrast to the parts on the hill which are simply dirt covered with crushed stone. In this picture, you can see two of the chicken sculptures standing on polished stones, one on each side of the path.After turning to the left in the above picture, the path passes in front of the station (the two story orange building). The road runs along what would be the roof of a normal buildings. In the back you can see the culture center portion of the building that houses the Asahigaoka Bus Center.
Just before the station, there is an installation that contains a very complicated sundial. Around the outer rim there are a bunch of corrections and additions that I did not understand. The small plaque at the bottom contains an explanation but there were too many words that I did not know. To understand I would have to know the specialized language of time and geography. It would probably be worth copying the contents and then translating with the help of a dictionary. Maybe I will do it some day. You might notice that a projecting piece, centered between the 6 and the 18 has been broken off. I have no idea what it might have looked like or been used for.
This large plaque explains when and why the sundial was installed and who financed it. Once I understood the content in general, I did not spend more time getting the details. Ian and I were there for the exercise, not sightseeing.


No comments: