Sep 9, 2010

Sendai Station and then walking home 11


This is a picture of a recycle shop. It sells all sorts of things, some new and some used. It was closed on this day, which explains the blue plastic sheets. To me, it looks like a lot of the stuff they sell are things that people got as presents but they did not want them. As the economy continues to be poor, recycle shops and doing pretty well compared to other businesses. People want to get cash for the stuff they don't want, rather than putting it out for the trash collectors, which now costs money. Also people are buying because they do not have the cash to shop in the regular stores. I guess I should point out that the people who were really well off before the economic problems are still well off. It is the middle and lower economic classes that are suffering.This section of the road, about a mile or so, has seven motor cycle shops. I do not know why there are so many or even if they are doing well. The size ranges from very small to quite large. This picture shows a mid sized shop.
The post office here is pretty good. There are mailboxes in convenient places and lots of post offices, many of them small, but functional. In addition to the daily scheduled delivery, much of the mail is brought directly to your door, as opposed to your mailbox. One of my students mailed me a book and it was delivered directly to my door and outside the regular delivery time. The picture shows a typical mail delivery and pickup truck. Much of the mail is also moved around on motorcycles.
Here are a couple of interesting houses. The white building at street level with the very rectilinear shape is a private house. The white building with the blue rood is also a private home. I really like this one. It is hard to see but it is two stories with a veranda in front of the first floor. The veranda forms the roof for a parking area. I would live to see the inside. I have been tempted to walk up the hill and knock on the door and ask for a tour. I wonder what the reaction would be.

No comments: