Mar 9, 2012

The Bishamon Temple

 Here is a closer look at the Bishamon statue. This is a bit unusual because usually Bishamon is shown with a spear in one hand and a pagoda in the other. Here he has a container of some sort and golden jewels are pouring from it, probably a reference to the spring.
 Another stele mostly covered with snow and with the winter braces in place.
 There was a tourist group on the grounds. They were getting a guided tour. Sometimes I attach myself to the end of such groups to hear what the tour guide has to say, but on this day I did not.
 From the front of the main building, I could see that the side building was connected to it by a covered hallway. This side building is probably a meditation hall.
 The snow is about a meter deep and, if you step off the beaten path, you sink to your knees. On the path the snow has been stepped on enough that it is hard and you can walk on it, although it was slippery.
 I love these complicated roof supports. They are made of lots of separate pieces that are held together by the weight of the roof. You will notice that it had started snowing again.
 Inside the main building, I found what I thought was a picture of a dragon, but on closer inspection it was the dried bodies to two poisonous snakes. Tony told me that they live in the hills behind the temple.
 On one side of the main altar, there was a large collection of small statues. I have no idea who or what they represent. Buddhist statues are usual personifications of specific human traits.
On the other side there was a well dressed statue, apparently dedicated in some way to children. I believe this because of the small statues in front as well as the toys.

No comments: