May 22, 2011

Still in Parktown

This is my old apartment (2nd floor on the right end) as seen through the front gate of the Miyagi U faculty housing area. One interesting thing about this gate is that it is never used. It is in the middle of the block with no parking and no particular reason to be there. The back side of the plot has two entrances and is on a side road, so everyone uses them. I do not remember seeing this gate open since it was locked to prevent people from taking a shortcut between the buildings.
This is a ramen (noodle) shop and what I consider the best I have ever been in. The food is excellent and the owner keepd it spotlessly clean. Most ramen shops are pretty grubby.
This is my dentist's. Since it is in Parktown, he and his wife live on the top floor and the office is on the first floor.
This is the entrance. The signs are ads in favor of specific politicians. Both the husband and wife are dentists and they also have a couple of young women who are technicians. As with my doctor the office is well equipped, having an X-ray machine, molding equipment for making false teeth, and the things necessary for minor oral surgery.
After I left, I walked a block south to a large intersection where there is a coop supermarket. It actually is a coop. You can become a member and get a large discount as well as have regular deliveries of food to your home. We have done it twice, but have not liked the lacking of choice that shopping in a store gives you. Probably when we get even older and getting to a store becomes a problem, we will join again. As I walked by the Coop and headed home, I remembered that behind the store there is a Shinto shrine. I decided to check and see if it had been damaged.
The path around the little hill that hides the shrine was constructed from old railroad ties, The are laid out in pairs that are held together by heavy u-shaped nails. This picture is looking back out toward the road and the structure on the right is the back of the Coop.

No comments: