May 17, 2011

Second day of classes - going to Miyagi Gakuin U.

 It is now the second day of classes, a Wednesday, and I have walked to the Yaotome Station and taken a subway to Asahigaoka Station where I have climbed the stairs to the bus depot. There is still a lot of damage inside the depot, especially around the elevator shaft.
 After riding in a bus to Miyagi Gakuin University stop, I took the underground passage to the other side of the road. At the bottom of the stairs, I found that someone had placed a tray with two pots of flowers on the floor - a nice gesture!

On my way home from school, as usual I walked along the river to get from Yaotome to my condo. There is another large condo along the way that I have shown before. I also pointed out that there are reports of severe damage inside with holes that allow you to stand in a room and see the outdoors. I noticed that the outside walls were covered with many small pieces of light blue tape. A little thought and a closer look made me realize that these were markers to highlight cracks in the walls. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can see the tapes, particularly on the left side.
This picture shows part of the construction that is going on along the river. These are piles of the concrete blocks that are being removed from the side of the levee at a point off to the left.
On Thursdays I have a strange schedule. In the morning I have a class that begins at 8:50 at Miyagi Gakuin U and then in the evening I have a classes at the Tsuchitoi Campus of Tohoku Gakuin U that begins at 6 p.m. This school have an evening program in which working people can attend college at night. It is very hard. One of my students showed me his schedule: two 90-minute classes six nights a week. This is in addition to a full week of work. However, many of the students do not have regular jobs, but applied to this program because it is easier to get into compared to the regular day programs.

Proof that in spite of all the problems, spring has arrived in Sendai!

No comments: