May 11, 2011

Earthquake Diary 112

 Just after I left Toshogu, I saw this stone statue of an Indian style elephant in a pile a scrap that had fallen off a building. It, and everything else about the disaster, was a reminder that nothing is permanent.
 A little further toward home I came to a corner where they were in the final stages of removing a building that had been severely damaged by the quakes.
 About a 15 minute walk brought me to a charming little park. The sidewalk I was on formed one border and I was able to walk beside the park for at least 500 meters. At the far end of the park, I found a public toilet, which solved a very severe problem.
 These twin houses were awaiting repairs.
 The building on the hill is a Christian churcht hat has lost a lot of roof tiles and its cross.
 I took this picture because it shows the various levels that exist when there is a hill. Each building is on a different level and the roads and walkways are adjusted to these differences.
 I took this picture standing on the highest point on my route home. In the distance between the buildings you can see a little bit of the next row of hills. Downtown Sendai is in a large flat area and there is one row of hills between there and my condo which is in a flat area formed by the river that passes outside my place.

This is a "high quality apartment" and how was I able to tell the quality? Just look at the close up of the blue sign on the wall.

No comments: