May 9, 2011

Earthquake Diary 110

 In the last two blogs, I showed pictures that I had taken at the festival for evacuees, but in this one I am back to my trip downtown to have lunch with Keith. After we ate and separated, I decided to walk home by a route that I had never taken before. There is only one main road from downtown to my area, but to the east there are a number of routes along old, narrow roads. I decided to try one of those. There was some damage along the first street away from the station area. This apartment building had some of the bricks on the front wall fall off. A construction company was working on it and had placed the normal netting over the part they were working on. Often they just put up the netting to keep anything more that might fall off from hitting people or doing other damage and leave it until they have time and supplies to actually make the repairs.
 This was the entrance gate to an old house. It is very traditional and only one or two tiles were broken.
 This old house, on the other hand, was leaning to the side and had scaffolding around it to keep it up until the construction company could repair it.
 This was in a residential area where the road was below the level of the houses, which all had garages built under them at road level. This garage was in use in spite of the danger of it collapsing. The scaffolding with building in supports was holding the roof from falling in.
 I do not know what this was but the trees and the gate made a very traditional scene.
 This is the gate into a small Buddhist temple. The place looked quite old and undamaged.
 I saw this building from the distance and was intrigued by it. It reminded me of a European abby or old church. However, when I got up close to it, I discovered that it was a small hospital, or more like it is like my doctor's - lots of equipment but no beds so patients can not stay over night.
This is the entrance to one of the more famous Shinto shrines in Sendai. It is called Toshogu. It is a bit way from the areas that I frequent so I had never been there before. So, I decided to enter the grounds and see what it was like, but that will have to wait until my next blog.

No comments: