May 4, 2011

Earthquake Diary 104

 They is very hard to see but there is a large work crew working on the railroad tracks. The tracks run along the top of a artificially raised area and I expect that the tracks are probably bent, just as they were on the subway.
 This alley enters a housing area and every one of the houses was badly damaged.
 The front of this house has fallen and the whole building is leaning badly. I had to enter the yard because my hat blew off so I was able to see inside and everything had been destroyed. However, it was obvious that the owners had been here and had taken some things out because there were things in places that could not have resulted from the quakes.
 This power shovel is starting to remove the remains of a building that had completely collapsed.
 This is Nanakitagawa, the Nanakita River. It is the same river that runs beside mu condo, there it is not very wide and there are rapids there. However, once it gets by the park next to my home, the river gets deeper and wider. If I lived a little further downstream, I would be very tempted to get a canoe. From the looks of the shoreline, the tsunami did not reach this area although I was about six kilometers from the sea.
This was a surprise! From the distance I thought that this was caused by the earthquakes, but when I reached it I found that it was just an old building that was falling down from old age. The interesting thing was that this is part of a construction company and the other side of the building is still in use.

No comments: