May 2, 2011

Earthquake Diary 99

 This is the roof at a local sushi shop. I hope it does not rain!
 As I have reported, the entrance building to my condo was damaged. It moved down and to the left in this picture. Also you can see that the columns are no longer vertical. The city inspectors say it is perfectly safe, but it is strange to walk along it.
 These men are putting sandbags into the larger holes around the buildings. My bedroom windows are visible just above the truck on the right.
 These rolls of cable have all been brought in since the quake. The electric company is apparently using them as they repair the distribution system. I think that, except in the areas utterly destroyed by the tsunami, electricity has been returned to all users.
 I peeked inside the green mesh and could see that this building had received a huge amount of damage. One reason may be that it is on land that was laid down by the river so it would have liquified during the quake. Later I walked further down this road and the extensive damage seemed to confirm this.
The government unit that issues driving licenses is about two kilometers from my place. When I passed for the first time since the quake I found the entrance blocked by this sign. It says that the place is closed and that all driving licenses have been automatically extended, not expiring until August 31.

No comments: