May 2, 2011

Earthquake Diary 100

 I walked east along the main road, crossing the bypass and continuing east. Here on the other side a some rice paddies the banking had collapsed and been covered with blue tarps, which by the way are known as "blue sheets".
 
 Along the road every utility pole had swayed so much that large holes had opened beside them.
 The area is flat river bottom farm land and the road has recently been modernized.
 This part of the network that brings water to the rice paddies has been severely damaged.
 This work crew is filling the holes next to the utility poles and then repaving the areas around the poles. The had apparently finished on my side and were now doing the other. However, on my side of the road most of the repairs had been re-damaged by the aftershocks, so that, when they finish on that side, they will have to do the near side again.
This shows the damage from the aftershocks. The dark area around the pole is the repair. The repaired portion has cracked, starting at the pole and crossing the entire repaired area to the yellow line (a guide line for the blind which is on most sidewalks in Sendai). In addition the sidewak has a new crack that has pushed the repaired section up into the air. Obviously the repairs need to be repaired.
It is hard to believe that I have now reached 100 posts in this series. In any case I will continue as long as there is something to say or show related to the disaster. However, I will gradually start reintroducing my original subjects, my life here in Sendai.

No comments: