May 14, 2011

Earthquake Diary 113

 I was still walking home from Sendai Station when I found this damage. This was a pillar supporting a roof over an open area that allowed access to both the first floor and stairs to the second. You can see a little of the stairs in the upper left corner of the picture. I was really surprised when I looked carefully at this damage. Inside the imitation bricks there used to be a large wooden structure, but most of it had turned to sawdust. I do not know whether it was just because of age or if some bugs had gotten at it, but it certainly was in bad shape
 This is a typical view that can be seen in older housing areas. The open drainage ditch is lined with stones that are held in place with concrete. The house often come right up to the edge of the water.
 Outside this house there was a large pile of broken roof tiles and bags that looked like they held the small pieces.
 This house seem to be quite old. All of the wood was bare and never painted, so it was now gray and well worn. It did have a certain charm to it.
 This little garden was amazing. It is at the edge of a driveway and someone had built a platform, or maybe I should say shelf, from from tree branches and then had piled dirt on top of this so that it was above the top of the low wall. I would have liked it, if it had more plants but as it is, is seems to be mostly dirt.
 Since I started taking pictures around Sendai to publish in the blog, I have been surprised by the number of churches that are around. I guess it is not so surprising when I consider that both of the universities that I work at are Christian.
A little further on there was a large pile of broken concrete blocks beside what seemed to be small stores.

No comments: