May 12, 2012

Along the Nanakitagawa River

 It is definitely spring here and although everything is at least a week late, some flowers more, the riverside is now a riot of color.
 The Shinto shrine, which is about half a kilometer from my apartment, has a large vine growing up a pole. For the life of me, I can not remember what it is, maybe wisteria.
 Even without leaves or flowers, I find the vine itself to be very interesting.
 Between the melting snow and all the rain we have had, the river is very full. Also the large carp are back and maybe some salmon, too. In this picture you can see a large, about one meter, fish in the lower left corner. It is about a third of the way from the left edge and also a third of the way from the bottom edge. There were many other fish but I could not find a place where I could get a good picture.
 This house is on the opposite side of the river. Do you see something strange about the roof? The eave of the left section is not straight. The right side is many inches higher than the left. I have no idea why it was built this way.
On the far side of the river, there is a large flat area between the river and the levee. Much of this is occupied by a truck farm. I have seen as many as four people working here. Before they started the construction project of the section near the bridge, this farmer also kept pheasants. They had a wooden 'pheasant' house and the six or seven birds mostly stayed near it, but sometimes we would see them on our side of the river.

No comments: