May 10, 2013

Arabito Jinja and onward

 This is the main entrance to Arabito Jinja and the main torii.
 After a bit of searching on the nearby back roads I finally found this. This circle of nine stelae were placed here in 1586 and are cared for by the priest at Arabito Jinja.
 This, believe it or not, is open to two way traffic. It is so narrow that I can almost touch the building and the wall at the same time.
 I came out of the back roads and was surprised to find I was back at Mirikaroden Nakagawa.
 Another 15 minutes or so of walking brought me to another shrine, the Matsuki Ama Jinja or maybe it is the Matsuki Ten Jinja. Matsu means pine and ki means tree. The next kanji means heaven and can be read as either ama or ten. There was no one there to ask so I do not know which is correct, or maybe it has an irregular pronunciation.
This is the sign on the torii. It says Ama (Ten) Jinja.

No comments: