May 28, 2013

Daitokuji

 I noticed that there was what seemed to be a path going around the left side of the building. When I went over to investigate, I found a beautiful old stone wall and off in the distance a Shinto torii.
 Before reaching the torii, however, I found a roofed over area contain a large number of statues. Each statue was different and they seemed to represent mythical Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. The ones on the right were partially hidden by a bush, so I moved to a position where I could see over the bush.
 My eyes were immediately drawn to the five miniature statues at the front edge. As you can see from the cups in the above two pictures, people have been leaving offerings.
 On the opposite side of the path, there were some stone models of buildings, each containing a little statue.
 I finally reached the torii and found a very small shrine. The doors were shut so I could not see what was inside.
Next to the shrine was another roofed area containing statues. Again each was different.

No comments: