May 25, 2013

At Daitokuji

 This is the entrance to the Daitokuji temple. Dai means great or large and toku means virtue or morality. Of course, ji means temple, so what I wrote in the first sentence is really "Daitoku temple temple".
 To my right as I went in, I found the bell tower and behind it some sort of temple building.
 On the right, opposite the bell tower there is a statue of someone. I historical Japanese Buddhist but I was not sure who it was.
 This small building had very heavy doors so I assume it is the treasure house where they store the temple valuables, statues, paintings, pottery, gold ritual objects, etc.
 The path was truly nestled in the woods. These stairs lead to a path up the mountain (hill?, it is not very tall) behind the temple. There are supposed to be some ruins and other stuff up there. At this time of year there are many mosquitoes so I decided to wait until the fall to go up there.
These little statues sat meditating in front of one of the small buildings along the path.

No comments: