May 21, 2013

Off to my new art class

 The day before starting my new art class, I walked up to the station to go to my dentist. This sign in on our favorite bread store. It shows how much effect all of the English classes that the students have beginning in grade school and continuing on through prep schools, private language schools and college. The Japanese says pan - nagata, pan is the Japanese word for bread and nagata is apparently the name of the owner/baker. Notice the English. I think that very few native speakers would ever connect bread and chef with an and. Japanese English allows almost any two words to be connected with the word and. If I were still working, I think I would do some research on this and see if there are any rules to the use of and in Japanese English. It would make a good research paper.
 The next morning at about 8:45, I left my apartment and turned left, walking up to the street that is in front of the apartment buildings in the distance.
 At the corner I turned right and walked the few meters to the bus stop. The trip took less than five minutes. If the trees were not in the way, you could see Hakataminami Station from here. It is at the end of the next block.
My kawasemi bus appeared right on time, leaving the station at 8:55 and arriving at my bus stop at 8:56. I have mentioned the kawasemi buses before. A kawasemi is a kind of bird that is common in this area. The used the bird's name as a name for the bus lines that go around town. There are two routes. One goes around a north east loop and the other goes around a north west loop. The buses on both routes run once every two hours but alternate between going clockwise and counterclockwise. There is a flat fee of 150 yen,  but elder people, like me, can go to town hall and get a card that reduces the fee to 100 yen. There are two other town run routes but they are not loops, so it you go sightseeing on them, you have to pay at the end of the line and then pay again to get home. Since the kawasemi buses run around a loop, you can go all the way around for a single price. My wife and I have gone around both routes, just to see what the town looks like.

No comments: