Dec 2, 2011

Birds and other stuff

 This is my Thursday night class at Tohoku Gakuin U. There are actually five students but one was absent. This semester I am spending the first thirty minutes talking about the evening's subject and then the students talk among themselves about the same subject. They are not limited to that subject and often wander off into areas that are of interest to them. The idea is that a language student learns to talk by talking, speaking about their own ideas using the language that is already in their head.
 This ad was in the subway. It shows why there will be jobs for native speaking English teachers for a long, long time in Japan. Look at the left end of the ad. The text says, "Let's!". Most Japanese, in spite of six or more years of studying English, think that "let's" is a verb, so you hear and see things like "Let's sports". This ad by the way is trying to get new students for the Tohoku Seikatsu Bunka University's high school.
 The view as I walk along the level on my way home at night.
 Here you can see the reflections in the river. My new camera is amazing. I have never been able to get a decent night scene before. Now I can get this quality picture, hand-held.
 Early on Thursday morning, I was on my way to school and this crane was fishing for its breakfast.
 A little further down the river, this crane was resting. Presumably it had finished breakfast. I was happy for the cranes but a bit sad for the fish that became the meals.

This is the same crane as above, but with this wider view you can see the crow that is sitting on the rocks at the left.

No comments: