Dec 15, 2011

Walking home from Miyagi Gakuin University again

 On my right was the river, but on my left was a garage where a bunch of cars were under repair. The contrast was striking.
 This is the river on my right.
 This is the only torii I have ever seen that is not associated with a shrine. This on just sits here in the middle of a field. The old highway (read dirt path) used to run across this field and up the hillside beyond so the torii is probably associated with that in some way. Or maybe there used to be a shrine around here.
 I do not know the name of this plant but it grows wild around here. If you find them in a Tokyo flower shop that caters to people doing flower arranging, they will be very expense.
 My classes were over at 3:30 so it must have been about 4 p.m. when I was walking along here. I was in a valley with hills, not mountains, on each side so it was getting dark and many of the houses had lights on.
 Even though it was getting dark, the river was still a pleasant sight.
 This Japanese style house is huge and has a high fence (the wall from the middle to the right) around the property.
When I first started walking along this river bank, there were no house here at all. They first flattened the land and built an access road, then they built the concrete retaining walls and finally they put up a group of more than ten buildings.

No comments: