Dec 7, 2011

Walking home from Miyagi Gakuin University

 I was on my way home, following the kanjosen, the western Sendai bypass road. The building on the right is a Nichiren Buddhist temple. Nichiren Buddhism has made efforts to expand to other countries so some of you may have had some experience with them.
 This is the temple from the other, up hill, side. Actually it does not look like a temple, except for the sign and the large parking lot. I think that they converted a regular home into a temple.
 At the far end of the parking lot, I found that a car had smashed into the fence. The traffic on the kanjosen sometimes goes quite fast. It looked like a car had lost control and turned into the parking lot but missed the gate and hit the fence.
 At the top of the hill, there is a little bread store. I have been tempted to stop in and see what they have, but from the outside it looks like they only sell sweet stuff and I like real bread.
 At the very highest point, on the left, there is a group of apartment buildings. From this point on the road goes down hill.
 It was getting dark. The time was about 6 p.m. Lotteria is a Japanese chain that sells hamburgers and that sort of fast food. The sign on the left phonetically says 'drive thru' in Japanese.
 This restaurant mostly sells bowls of rice with meat toppings, called domburi.
A few years ago this chain store, Yamaya, was one of my favorites. It is a discount liquor store. I seldom came to this one because there was one near my home, behind the bookstore. However, I stopped drinking and the nearest Yamaya closed. I wonder if there was a connection.

No comments: