Dec 22, 2011

Still going home

 I was still walking along the ridge line and planned to follow it until a right turn would put me on the road that crosses the bridge nearest my condo. As I walked, I came on this strange looking building. The end was only wide enough for a door. The building was shaped like a large piece of pie.
 Here is the building from the other side. The last picture shows the end that is on the left. There are many weirdly shaped buildings like this in Japan. The building is designed to fit the shape of the land and almost all lots are small so this becomes important as buildings become larger. This building used all but a few inches of the property.
 These stairs lead up to an even higher level than the one I was on.
 I decided, for no particular reason, to walk on a road a bit further down the slope. So I went down a flight of stairs. You can see them on the left, with a similar flight on the right. The tunnel allows traffic to pass under the Shogen heights and the road is the main route north from Izumi Chuo.
 Most large buildings, especially apartment houses, have their own water tanks, usually on the roof to provide constant water pressure. I was surprised to find two large tanks associated with this building and both of them at ground level.
 The cliff is quite steep along the road. The road, on the left is at the level of the second floor of the houses that line the road. This view shows part of the roof over the first floor and the backyard, which must be at least a meter wide.
 This view of the same roof shows how the tiles are covered where the sides of the roof come together.
The wall beyond the stairs holds the house's backyard in place. It looks like the garden would be quite pretty in the summer time. I will have to remember to come back here when it is warm.

No comments: