Oct 6, 2013

Something that really bugs me

 The path along the stream came to an end at a main road, but I could see that it continued on the other side of that road. There was no intersection at this point so I had to turn left and walk to the first traffic light. Now, here is what bugs me. You will notice that there is no zebra crossing going to the right. I first have to cross the road and then turn right. Of course, The pedestrian light was red so I had to wait.
 Once across the crossing road, the pedestrian light was again red so I had to wait again. In the picture you can see that there is another zebra crossing going back to the right. The stream is just behind the white rail fence.
Once I got across the main road, I thought that I might walk down the crossing street a ways because in the distance I could see a bridge that would get me back to the riverside path. However, I discovered, as you can see above, that on this side of the road there was no sidewalk. I had to cross the zebra crossing to even go down the side road.

So what happened was instead of simply crossing the road, I had to cross three sections of the road, waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green at each. I took more than five minutes to get from the riverside path on one side of the road to the same path on the other side. It is really frustrating, especially since I can find no reason for not having the fourth zebra crossing. I have asked many Japanese about this. In response to my question, the usually say that it is done for safety. When I ask in what way does this make it safe, no one can give me an answer. One of these days I am going to stop in a Police Station and ask them to explain.

No comments: