May 30, 2014

Hachiryu Jinja

 I found these plants in a field beside the road. I have no idea what they might be. The only clue is that someone is raising them, so I suspect that they will produce something edible.
 One of my main goals for this walk was the Hachiryu Jinja, the Eight Dragon Shrine. There is an eight headed dragon in Japanese mythology about prehistoric times, so I suspect that this shrine is somehow related to that dragon, ryu in Japanese. As I approached I could see the roof rising above a hedge of blossoms.
The torii was almost on the street. When the shrine was first made, I suspect that would have been a simple dirt path through here. The road is now a national numbered road and it allows access into the mountainous area which is not far off to the right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The plants look like leeks.