Feb 20, 2011

Out for exercise 08

 Continuing along the same road, I reached the park. They have recently done a lot of work on the paths and the shore line of the small lake (just visible in the background). The reason for this upgrading is that the street is lined with cherry trees and it has become a very popular site of viewing the cherry blossoms in the spring.
 Across the road from the park and on the north side, there used to be a supermarket, but I found that it had closed, a common occurrence with Japanese businesses these days.
 I little further on I discovered that they have built a bridge in the park. This little stream used to block the path along the edge of the lake. People had to climb a steep hill and return to the sidewalk before going down the hill again to return to the path.
 On the other side of the road was a red Post Office motor scooter. I assume that the mail carrier was delivering something in the building. Postal service is really quite good here.
Reaching the point where I planned to turn off to the left, I noticed that I had a good view of a church. It is interesting that downtown Sendai has almost no religion connect buildings. However, about two kilometers away to the north and farther to the west, there is a band of Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines. Then there are almost none to the outside of this band, however, there are a surprising number of Christian churches in the suburban housing areas.

No comments: