Aug 16, 2011

More from the neighborhood around Tohoku Gakuin U, part 3

 This is a side street only a couple of hundred meters from the campus. The contrast of old low residential buildings to new multistory ferro-concrete structures is really striking in this area.
 Here is another example of this contrast. The tall building in the center is the back of one of the classroom buildings and in front of it, in the middle of the picture, is a two story wooden building containing apartments.

 This is that two story building up close. I was surprised by the overgrown yard but in spite of the wild vegetation, the building is obviously occupies..
 Reentering the campus through a gate I had never used before, I discovered a little Shinto shrine that was fenced off from the Christian university.
 I often drink a can of Coke Zero during my Thursday evening classes. When I looked at the can, I was extremely surprised to find, next to the white Coke bottle printed at the top of the can, the Japanese "Ganbarou Tohoku! Kokoru o hitotsu ni." The first part is the slogan that is all over the place but the second part is new. I have never seen it before. It is hard for me to translate because, as is often the case with slogans the verb has been omitted, but it means something like "Make hearts one".
The next morning as I was leaving for my classes, I saw the police all lined up and standing at attention. I am not sure what it was but it probably was the start of a new motorcycle driving skills class.

No comments: