Aug 22, 2011

Still walking toward Sendai

 This is not a very typical scene in Sendai and throughout the rest of Japan. The long low building is convenience store. It seems that there now is one every block or two.
 This is the tallest condo in Sendai. I have been able to use it as a landmark to find my way back to a main road when I have gotten lost in the back streets.
 This is a little Shinto shrine, dedicated to all the people who lost their lives in the torture and execution facility that used to be on this spot. The people who live around here say that they frequently encounter ghosts at night. I have walk by here on many a night and have yet to see one. I keep hoping.
 This used to be a supermarket with a game center on the second floor. However, it is closed and the entrance is barricaded with these iron pipes. This was a bit of a problem for me because I usually use the public toilets on the second floor. However, they are closed, too. You might have laughed if you had seen me trying to walk with my legs crosses.
 This is very typical of the area along the sides of this main road. The building in the front is new and made from ferro-concrete. The building on the hill to the left, however, is an old traditional style wooden building that is half buried in vegetation.
This is another old building. However, the brown door is new, in spite of being a traditional shape, you have to duck to get through it.

No comments: