Aug 5, 2011

Still more from along Nanakita River

 This is where the drainage system of the south side empties into the river. A few years ago I drew a picture of this and it was the first picture that I sold at my one-man exhibit.
 Obviously this damage to the river bank is not in danger of being repaired soon. I look at this sort of damage and wonder what it would have been like if the quakes had been just a little bit stronger. It looks like that apartment building could have tipped over into the river if the banking had fallen away.
The river was extremely high on this day, a result of the accumulated rainy season precipitation, I would guess.
The area around my condo has a large number of high tension power lines. There is one that passes of the parking lot that is outside our living room. If I were younger or had small children around all the time, I would do some research on the possible health effects, but I am now old enough not to care.

The high water has completely covered the nice little beach that is usually here. In the middle of summer, the neighborhood kids come down here to play in the sand and older people fish in the deeper water.

There is a high levee on both banks of the river and here someone has started a flower garden on the slope leading up to the road on the top of the levee. This will be very pretty once the flowers blossom. I did not see a sign containing a city permit so this may not be an approved site, which means that it may get cut down if the city cuts the grass in the park which lies between the road and the river. That would be sad.


No comments: