Aug 31, 2011

Still more from along Nanakita River - To Izumi Chuo

 After passing the Shinto shrine, I continued up the street toward Izumi Chuo. On my right I could see the back of the library and the Science Museum with its dome that houses a planetarium. The library is under reconstruction and the library has not yet reopened. In order for people to get books they have parked a mobile library truck in front of the library entrance and people can get books from there. I have not yet gone into the library. I have been saving it for after I retire. Supposedly they have a fairly large collection of English language books.
Across from the station building, I saw, or I should say heard because he was giving a very load speech. This is the beginning of the election for the Sendai City Council. All media are required to give candidates equal time, so the newspapers usually carry full page summaries of all the candidates.Also they use sound trucks but I will save that for another day when I have pictures.
Here a typically dressed young woman is waiting for someone or something in the open area above the bus depot and between the station building and the stores.
I stopped at Starbucks and got coffee and then sat in the area outside. Starbucks is inside the window on the right. This area is very nice. There are at least ten tables with chairs and it is protected from the weather because it is actually inside the building. The columns mark the outside of the building and the second floor uses all the space overhead. I sit out here all year around. I remember sitting there in a snow storm, watching the snow blow around outside and sipping hot coffee.
This is a medicinal alcohol dispenser that is by the door. A couple of years ago there was a very bad epidemic of flu and public buildings started putting alcohol near the doors with big signs asking people to use it. This was so successful that most of the large stores and universities have continued the practice, keeping down the flu and colds.
Boards like this are set up all over the city and they are the only place that election candidates are allowed to put up posters. Compared to other countries, especially the US, elections are strictly controlled and the police regular investigate violations. In national elections there are almost always criminal proceedings against a few of the candidates who have violated the law.

No comments: