Sep 30, 2011

Almost home, but with a detour to a bakery

 Still at the shrine for the victims of the execution and torture grounds, I noticed that someone has given this Buddhist statue new clothes.
 This is also a Buddhist statue on the shrine grounds.
 Sendai, as is most of Japan, is full of pleasant little streams like this. They are part of the drainage system or the extensive system that brings water to the rice paddies. Some of the streams, particularly in central Japan, are 1500 years.
 This is a cake shop that I pass when going to Miyagi Gakuin U on  the bus. It has been open for more than 50 years and I have wanted to try the cakes. I bought a couple and, when I ate them after returning home, I did not think that they were special, in fact they were too sweet for me which may be why it has lasted so long - many Japanese like things that are extremely sweet.
 Walking along the main road, I was passed by a policeman on a bicycle. The numbers on the left are the prices of different kinds of gas in yen per liter.
Here is another picture of the policeman. I think that one of the many reasons for the low rate of crime in Japan is that the police patrol on bicycles as well as cars and motorcycles.

No comments: