Sep 25, 2011

Sendai Temple zone

 This is a better view of the shrine that I showed yesterday
 I was walking along a road that went to and then followed the base of a line of low hills that used to mark the northern edge of Sendai. At that time the hills were in the countryside so they were a good place to build temples. Now, there is a row of them along the ridge line. In the following I will only show the entrances. After I officially retire from teaching university classes next March I plan to start visiting all of the temples and shrines in Sendai, taking pictures and making drawings. This is the first of the temples in the hills.
 This was the entrance to a regular house. I think the owner has a very nice artistic sense.
 This is where the road turns to parallel the ridge line.At this point rather than a temple, there is a Shinto shrine on the hill. This is the entrance
Two people walking up to the shrine. You can see that the entrance collapsed in the quakes and has not been repaired.
This is just to the east and is the entrance to a temple. You can see the main gate at the top of the hill.

No comments: