Sep 28, 2011

Still walking

 This old house is apparently still in use. I am serious thinking about using it as the subject for a drawing. If I ever get the time. The new semester has started and I am very busy so it will probably be a while.
 I have almost reached the Kita Sendai train and subway station, and since I was on a road that I do not usually use, I discovered that the wall beside the last of the row of temples had collapsed during the tremors.
 This young lady is walking up the stairs into the temple grounds. I have never been inside so I can not guess whether she is actually going to the temple or just taking a shortcut through the temple grounds. I just check the Goggle satellite photos of the area and I would guess that she is taking a short cut into the housing area on the other side of the temple. It appears that you can walk through and out the other side.
 This area has a lot of old houses. I find them very picturesque and hope to do drawings of many of them, once I retire next year and have some freer time.
 This is, I believe, the tallest apartment tower in Sendai. Before Miyagi U opened, while I was working on the setup committee, they wanted to buy the penthouse as the living quarters for the university president, but it was not available. Instead they bought two side by side apartments in a building nearer the campus, and then knocked a hole through a wall to make it one large apartment. After the first president, the new presidents took office, they all had their own accommodations so the two apartment complex went unused. Finally, it was sold at a very cheap price. I would have loved to have purchased it, but did not consider it considering the mortgage on my present apartment.
I was back on the main road and stopped briefly at the the shrine to the souls of the victims of the torture and execution ground that was located in this area. I almost always stop unless I am in a hurry. There is something about the place, the aura of all those who suffered or died here, that make it special.

No comments: