Sep 3, 2011

Still more from along Nanakita River

 This was the first time that I have walked along the riverbank on the side opposite from my condo, since the time of all the aftershocks. I was very surprised to find how much damage there was to the levee on this side. You can see the sunken area in the middle of the blue tarp. This is a crack in the levee. It is wide and appears to be deep.
 A little further on the paved walkway on the top of the levee was badly broken and again the cracks were very deep.
 Here a section of the bank collapse a bit and is covered to prevent further problems.
 The black building is a game center that was badly damaged. Most of the windows were broken and there may have been some structural damage. When I walk along here, I usually go through this gate and across the parking lot to the sidewalk along the Sendai Bypass road. However, for the first time since I have lived in this area, the gate was shut and locked. So I had to go around by the roads.
 Being forced to take these roads which I have seldom walked on, led to a discovery. This large apartment, mostly a condo, was closed and there was no one living in it. I expect that the city inspectors found enough structural damage that they condemned the structure. I have met a number of people who have had to move because the building they were living in had so much damage that it was unsafe and condemned by the city.
After passing by so much damage, coming to this rather pleasant stretch was a real pleasure.

1 comment:

dsds said...

This is such an interesting blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject. Please check out my site.
Riverbank fernvale condo review