Jul 16, 2010

Thursday mornings at Miyagi Gakuin University


For the next couple of weeks, I am going to show you what my typical Thursday mornings look like. I teach the first period class (8:50 to 10:10) at Miyagi Gakuin University, so I leave home a about quarter of 7. I first walk to Yaotome subway station where I take a train two stops to Asahigaoka station. From there I walk through a tunnel to the bus depot and catch a bus to the campus. I arrive just after 8 so I have time to relax and drink a cup of coffee wit a friend before class.

This Thursday it was raining, just as it has for the last couple of weeks. It's the rainy season in full force - hot, humid, and rainy. Because of the rain, I walked as quickly as I could and did not stop to take pictures along the riverside. However, I did stop on the bridge and take the same picture that I had taken the night before. Only this time, you can see something other than just lights.Turning right and heading toward Yaotome station, I took this picture of the new fire station. It will, I believe, have five engines and an ambulance when it begins operations next year. The ambulance is particularly nice to have. It is a free service, part of the regular fire department, and they will come and take you to a hospital as well as do some first aid.
Opposite the fire station is a driving school. Although there would soon be students there, it was still just a little bit early for it to be open.
This is looking back toward the fire station and shows the tower where the firemen (what in the world is the politically correct thing to say? and yes they are all men) will practice running up and down stairs. The construction is where they are rebuilding the sidewalk as part of the general construction in the area - a new bridge a couple of years ago, the new fire station, and new sidewalks. I expect that before they are through they will repave this section of the road, too.
This is the way the current side walk looks. They have finished redoing the one on the other side of the road - where almost no one walks.

No comments: