Jul 17, 2010

Thursday mornings at Miyagi Gakuin University 02


Just before arriving at Yaotome station, I have to cross a large intersection. The crossing road is one of the bypasses that go around Sendai proper. This one goes to the west of the downtown area and goes up over the hill with the huge statue of Kannon, which I have posted pictures of before. The green and white building is a pachinko parlor and also has karaoke rooms.After crossing the intersection, I come to a bus stop and a convenience store. This area always has a lot of people. Even late at night, well after midnight, the area will be full of high school age students hanging around the store. The horizontal building in the background is part of the station.
Beside the subway station, there is a bus depot. The stairs in the middle of the picture lead to the entrance to the Yaotome station. I am sure I have mentioned before, but ya means 8 and otome means virgins as in unmarried women. So, this is the Eight Virgins subway station.
Rather than use the stairs in the last picture, I go to the front of the station, which is past the spot where I turned left to take the last picture. The blue SS sign over the entrance is the symbol for the subway system. The SS stands for either Subway System or Sendai Subway, I am not sure which. The girl with the white blouse and the gray skirt is a junior high school student. All the junior and senior high schools require the students to wear uniforms.

No comments: