Jul 20, 2010

Thursday mornings at Miyagi Gakuin University 04


Passing the ticket machines, you exit the subway station through the tunnel on the right. The door in the middle is an elevator that takes you to the street level. There is also a flight of stairs, just out of the picture on the left.I stopped in the toilet on my way to the bus terminal and realized that some of you will not have seen a traditional Japanese toilet. When I first came here, this is all there was, but now almost all (99% at least) new toilets are western style.
After climbing a flight of stairs, I entered the waiting area of the bus depot. Although it was not crowded when I arrived, an hour or two earlier and the entire place would have been full of students, junior high, senior high, college, and a few grade schoolers. The front of the station is to the left.
I walked over to the front of the depot and took this picture. The trees are in the park that Ian and I walk in and the subway station is beneath the road. Recently Sendai increased the maximum number of taxis and now there are too many. Every station has a line of them waiting for customers. It is convenient but the drivers and companies have found their income falling. To add to the problems, one company has found a way around the standard pricing and offers rides that are almost 50% below the regular companies.

No comments: