Jul 13, 2010

Walking home at night


On Saturday I met a group of friends in an Irish bar near Sendai Station. They sell real Guinness beer. The own spend a couple of hundred thousand dollars on having the equipment imported and installed. Around 10:30 someone left to catch a train and I decided that I would walk home. About half way home there is a small Shinto shrine beside the road. It is on the approximate site of an old execution ground and is dedicated to all the lost souls that may still inhabit the area. Many of the people who live in the area claim to have seen ghosts of those who were executed. I have walked past many times, but so far have not been lucky enough to see one.
To the left of the shrine itself there is a row of Buddhist statues - a mixing of religions that is quite common here. Most people will say that they follow both Buddhism and Shinto. They have different functions in life and do not come into conflict. Shinto takes care of those areas that are involved with purity and Buddhism those involved with impurity, especially death.
After taking the above pictures I turned toward home and took the next picture. It shows the Chinese/Asia restaurant that is next to the shrine. This restaurant is very popular with young people and seems to be a dating place. I guess the ghosts do not bother the young lovers.
Nearer home I passed what I think is the tallest apartment building in Sendai. There are so many stories that I have not been able to count them, losing track part way up, or down as the case may be. The first president of Miyagi U wanted to get the penthouse as the official presidents residence but the owners would not sell. I do not think that the prefectural officers involved tried very hard, because they complained to me that the location was too far from the university.
Almost home, I paused on the bridge over the Nanakita River and took this picture of my apartment building. It is the buildings just left of center, the vertical rows of lights. Our place in the dark area between the two sets of vertical lights. As I have said before, our building is designed so that there are three elevators and no outside corridors, and the stairwell lights are designed so that they do not show much from the outside. The other two buildings on the left and right have outside corridors that run the length of each floor and cause the lighting to show brightly. The reflections are from the water in the Nanakita River.

No comments: